Call-to-actions can be the most effective way to convert browsing web traffic to regular visitors and paying customers.
A call-to-action is a strategy used to provoke a response from readers, usually requesting them to do something that could result in more business for you. The simplest thing you want readers to do is click!
Call-to-actions must make them interested or curious or driven to click links so they can receive a discount, take advantage of a special deal, enter a contest, become members, sign up for a newsletter, redeem a coupon, download a free e-book, attend a webinar, buy your product, and more.
The Role of Call-to-actions in Online Marketing
The difference between writing and marketing is essentially the call-to-action that you incorporate in the content. Launch a reader toward buying, even if there are a few steps to take in that process.
When setting out to write any online content, define your intentions. All content created for online marketing should have a business goal and objective. It’s never just to fill space. Defining this objective right up-front will assist you in determining the call-to-actions you should use as a potential hook. Goal clarity makes it easier to write in a way that will prompt a natural transition from reader education to taking that desired step.
Creating Effective Call-to-actions
Proper thought and groundwork needs to go into designing effective call-to-actions:
- Lay out the benefits. To convince people to respond, tell them what’s in it for them. Each action needs a clear value proposition. Some first-time visitors may see a call-to-action as a closed door, so show them that what’s on the other side is really worthwhile.
- Sweeten the deal. Offer an incentive that will encourage a reader to go farther with you. This could be a free gift, a discount, entry into a draw, or membership.
- Optimize the number of call-to-actions. Design content to contain a number of distinct call-to-actions. People can be overwhelmed by too much choice, so optimize the number of actions that all complement each other and work towards achieving your business objective.
- Use trigger words. Call-to-actions should trigger some sense of urgency or importance. Action verbs are a good start: buy, subscribe, sign up, download. But trigger words are huge: free, imagine, because, new, instant, quick, bargain, join, members only, etc. Create urgency by qualifying the benefit for a limited time or offering a free gift as a reward for immediate action.
- Call-to-action design. Make it stand out.
- Position it on the page so the eye cannot miss it.
- Make the call-to-action a different color from the rest of the content.
- Bigger font may make it more eye-catching.
- Any copy around the link should be brief, striking, and should include trigger words.
At Results, we recognize that there is often a lot to think about when creating content for online marketing. You not only need to generate new leads for business growth, but also ensure many of those leads convert to sales. Yet sometimes your focus is on existing customers and administration. This is where online marketing expertise comes to the fore and can provide you with content and call-to-action strategies that can grow your business and allow you to focus on what you do best.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Results Professional Marketing and a clickable link back to this page.